GagA// 0n D nEt

It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Virtualization: Convert VMWare image to VirtualBox Image
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:29 am 

Today we are having number of virtual tools and applications. Out of them the major leader in open source community is VMWare.

No doubt this is a popular virtualization technology. Almost all of us have came across this name earlier. However it has it's own limitations.

I have a many of my virtual machines being setup on VMWare, but I came across this new application introduced by Sun Microsystems.

VirtualBox is a family of powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction

It is far more light and contains some pretty cool features. Hence I found the need to migrate/convert the virtual machines from VMWare platform to VirtualBox. And this can be done using qemu-img utility.

I am personally using Ubuntu hence I could find the installation details for installing qemu on Ubuntu. I will be updating this thread once I find the installation method for other operating systems.

Installing qemu

qemu-img utility is binded in qemu package. You can use the following command to install the same:
Quote:
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install qemu

Converting the image file (from .vmdk to .vdi)

You can now use the qemu-img utility to convert the VMWare image (.vmdk) to a .bin file.

We will take the example of rhel5.vmdk here.
Quote:
[email protected]:~$ qemu-img convert rhel5.vmdk /tmp/conversion/rhel5.bin

Now use the VBoxManage command to convert the image file (.bin file) to .vdi format.
Quote:
[email protected]:~$ VBoxManage convertdd /tmp/conversion/rhel5.bin rhel5.vdi